Donan Agricuitural Experiment Station
Local Independent Administrative Agency
Hokkaido Research Organization
Agricultural Research Department
Donan Agricultural Experiment Station.
Hon-cho 680, Hokuto-shi, Hokkaido, 041-1201, Japan.
|1909||Established as an independent prefectural experiment station by the Hokkaido prefectural government|
|1910||Transferred to the national administration as Hokkaido Agricultural Experiment Station Oshima Branch. Launched experiments on paddy rice, wheat and beans.|
|1911||The orchard was settled and launched experiments on fruits.|
|1950||Reorganized to Hokkaido Agricultural Experiment Station Oshima Branch in the control of the Hokkaido Prefectural Government|
|1964||Reorganized to Hokkaido Prefectural Donan Agricultural Experiment Station. Launched experiments on protected horticulture.
"Donan" is the term meaning southern Hokkaido formed of Oshima and Hiyama subprefecture.
|1981||The Greenhouse under Environmental Control and the Greenhouse with Saving Energy were built.|
|1992||Established Research Director and founded Specialists' room. Investigetion of the fruits was integrated into Central Agricultural Experiment Station.|
|1998||The Greenhouse for Hastening of Generation was built.|
|2000||Established Technical Extention Section taken over from Specialists' room.|
|2010||Hokkaido Research Organization is started and established Agricultural Research Department.|
Oshima and Hiyama subprefectures are located in the southwest of Hokkaido. The total area of these subprefectutes including other small islands, is 6580k㎡ and it occupies 8.4% of the total area of Hokkaido.
There are mountainous region in Oshima Peninsula. In the south of the peninsula, there are flat lands originating from alluvial soil. The total area suitable for farm land is 1240km2. About 60% and 30% of them consist of andosol and alluvial soil respectively, and about 10% consist of Brown forest soil and Peat soil. Most of the soil contains volcanic ash coming from Mt. Komagatake, Mt. Esan, Mt. Kamuiyama or Oshima Ohsima Isl..
Oshima peninsula, located in the southwest of Hokkaido, has a relatively mild climate and narrow diurnal or annual temperature range. In spring and autumn, it is calm and has long durations of sunshine and the frostless period is long. In winter, it is warm and has a little snow. But, in summer, especially in early summer, maximun temperatures are lower and the duration of sunshine is shorter than those in central parts of Hokkaido. Temperature, in particular, sometimes becomes very low because of Yamase (north-east or east wind). And the climate is varied from place to place in this district, so the type of agriculture is also varied.
Agriculture in Donan District
Agricultural statistics of the Donan district consisting of Oshima and Hiyama subprefectures of Hokkaido are as follows (according to 2007 data) : Oshima-arable land 24,900ha (paddy 6,580ha, upland 18,300ha), farm household 2,350, arable land per household 7.4ha, Hiyama-arable land 19,200ha (paddy 9,090ha, upland 10,200ha), farm household 1,677, arable land per household 8.2ha.
The Station is situated at Hon-cho Hokuto-shi(41ﾟ53'11" N, 140ﾟ39'14" E and 25meters above sea level)in Oshima subprefecture of Hokkaido. It is about 20km away from Hakodate city to the northwest, about 5km away from JR Nanae Station, 18km away from JR Hakodate Station and 24km away from Hakodate Airport, and takes about 7, 30 and 40minutes by taxi respectively.
Land Usage and Facilities
- Office Building
- Examination Houses
- Examination House for Plant Disease and Insect Pests
- Greenhouse under Environmental Control
- Greenhouse with Saving Energy
- Greenhouse for Hastening of Generation
- Paddy Fields
- Upland Fields
The Station consists of Director, Director of Research Divison, 2 Senior Research Managers, 4 Chiefs, and the General Affairs Section.
Regional Technology Group
- Local adaptability about strains of rice and field crops.
- Field performance tests for recommended varieties of soybean, azukibean, potato and maize.
- Development of cultural systems and improvement of cultivation method in vegetables such as tomato, leek, welsh onion, strawberry, mesclun and sweet potato.
- The service area of the office is Oshima and Hiyama subprefectures. Three specialists are placed in the office. They play a vital role to cordinate with administrative bodies, research and experimental institutes, and agricultural Extension service.
Producing Environment Group
Cultural Environment(Soil Science and Plant Nutrition)
- Experiments on amounts of fertilizer application for qualitative improvement of vegetables.
- Establishment of sustainable agricultural techniques.
- Methods for reduction of cadmium absopsorption.
- Soil surveys
Plant Diseases and Insect Pests
- Establishment of chemical control methods of diseases and insects.
- Establishment of stable production techniques for vegetables with low usage of chemicals.
Experimental Field Management
The main roles of this section are as follows：allocation of workers and machines for research activities, management of temporary workers and agricultural implements and machineries.
The General Affairs Section
The roles of this section are as follows：the management of personnels, budgets, properties and equipments and office works on general affairs and the running of the station.
Agricultural Research Department
- Central Agricultural Experiment Station
- Higashi 6-Kita 15, Naganuma-cho, Yubari-gun, Hokkaido, 069-1395, Japan
- Kamikawa Agricultural Experiment Station
- Minami 1-5, Pippu-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido, 078-0397, Japan
- Tokachi Agricultural Experiment Station
- Shinsei 9-2, Memuro-cho, Kasai-gun, Hokkaido, 082-0081 Japan
- Konsen Agricultural Experiment Starion
- Sakuragaoka 1-1, Nakashibetsu-cho, Shibetsu-gun, Hokkaido, 086-1135, Japan
- Kitami Agricultural Experiment Station
- Yayoi 52, Kunneppu-cho, Tokoro-gun, Hokkaido, 099-1496, Japan
- Animal Research Center
- Shintokunishi 4-40, Shintoku-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido, 081-0038, Japan
- Ornamental Plants and Vegetables Research Center
- Higasitakikawa 735, Takikawa-shi, Hokkaido, 073-0026, Japan
Hokkaido Research Organization
- Agricultural Research Department
- Forest Research Department
- Environmental and Geological Research Department
- Fisheries Research Department
- Industrial Technology Research Department
- Building Research Department
Copyright 2014 Hokkaido Research Organizaion. All rights reserved.